1. Who should apply?
If your institution has successfully implemented a project, initiative, program or other activity that addresses climate change mitigation or adaptation while focusing on one of the three areas outlined below, we would like to hear about it.
The 2021 call for applications includes the following three areas of focus:
Climate Neutral Now, recognizing efforts by individuals, companies and governments that are achieving real results in transitioning to climate neutrality.
Financing for Climate Friendly Investment, recognizing successful financial innovations for climate change adaption and mitigation.
Climate Leaders, recognizing transformational efforts by governments at all levels (national, provincial, state, city, town) that are moving the needle on climate change.
2. Why apply?
Selected activities under each area of focus will be showcased at a series of special events during the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Glasgow, Scotland (COP 26) in November 2021. Additionally, winning activities will be highlighted through various media channels, providing a unique chance to gain international visibility and recognition.
See question number three for the complete benefits package received by winning activities.
3. What benefits do UN Global Climate Action Award winners receive?
Award winners receive the following benefits package:
I. Engagement with policy makers
- Recognition by the UN Climate Change secretariat;
- Depending on global travel restrictions and the ongoing pandemic, award winners may receive funded attendance to UN Climate Change Conference (apart from winners under the Financing for Climate Friendly investment category, which need to be self-funded to attend the Conference);
- Opportunities to present work to policy makers during the UN Climate Change Conference.
II. Public relations support
- Concentrated media engagement effort prior to and during the UN Climate Change Conferences, including placement of opinion pieces and earned media;
- On-going digital campaign, including social media, email marketing and promotion on UN Climate Change website. Marketing support Promotional videos; Dedicated webpage on the UN Climate Change website; Interactive annual reports; Professional photography.
4. What are the basic eligibility criteria?
Your activity must meet the eligibility criteria for its respective area of focus. Please note that each of the three areas of focus has its own criteria. In order to meet the basic eligibility criteria, the activity must:
- Address climate change mitigation or adaptation;
- Be already implemented, or in the course of implementation;
- Be scalable and/or replicable with potential for long-term impact;
- Be innovative and/or demonstrate potential for long-term transformational change;
- Deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits;
- Not be registered or have intentions to register as a clean development mechanism (CDM) or joint implementation (JI) initiative in the next two years.
5. How do I access the application portal?
In order to access the application portal, you will need to create a user name and password. To create log-in credentials, click here.
After you have created log-in credentials, you will be able to create a new application.
6. How do I know if my application has been submitted successfully?
Upon submission of your application, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
7. Are Clean Development Mechanism and Joint Implementation activities allowed to apply?
Your activity must not be registered, or have intentions to register, as a Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) or Joint Implementation (JI) activity for the next two years.
Projects recognized under voluntary standards, such as Gold Standard and Verified Carbon Standard, are eligible to apply.
8. How are the winning activities selected?
Through a rigorous evaluation process, our Advisory Panel will select a small number of activities from the total pool of submissions.
Winning activities are shining examples of successful mitigation and adaptation actions that serve to inspire and increase momentum for further action on climate change. Winning activities are chosen on the basis of predefined selection criteria which, in addition to specific thematic criteria, emphasize innovative partnerships as a way to achieve long-lasting, transformational change. Winning activities must also be replicable and scalable.
9. If my activity is chosen as a winning activity, what should I expect?
A representative from your activity will be invited to attend the Global Climate Action events at the United Nations Climate Change conference in Scotland. For more information on what to expect, please see questions 2 and 3.
10. When will I know if my activity has been chosen as a winning activity?
The Momentum for Change Advisory Panel will select the winning activities by mid-August 2021. The UN Climate Change secretariat will then inform the focal points of the activities thereafter.
11. Can I reapply in 2021 if I already applied in previous years?
Yes. If you applied for a UN Global Climate Action Award in previous years, but your activity was not selected, you may reapply in 2021. However, please be sure to update the details of your application, including progress that your activity has made within the last year.
12. Do winning activities receive a grant, funding or any other type of financial contribution?
No. Winning activities do not receive a grant or any other type of financial contribution.